Writing & Journalism
Creative writing provides students with opportunities to examine models of good writing and to compose pieces in various genres, including short stories, poetry, personal essays, memoirs, plays and screenplays. Students have the benefit every year of visiting with real-world working authors.
Journalism / Newspaper - The Falcon
In Journalism, students will read and write a range of newspaper writing styles, including news, feature, opinion-editorial, sports, and entertainment. Students will learn to write for different audiences and purposes, practice revision, and create clear and meaningful stories that meet standards of accuracy, grammar, style and journalism ethics.
This course is for students who are interested in contributing to the publication of the Kinkaidian yearbook. The yearbook is more than a treasured keepsake for students and alumni; it is a historical record. As members of the Kinkaidian staff, students are responsible for documenting the history of the year through writing and photography to create a printed memory book that reflects the events, lives and spirit of the people of the given school year. Students will learn the elements of design, visual storytelling, graphic design and how to use Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
Scholastic Writing Awards
In 2018, Kinkaid Upper School students received:
5 National Gold & Silver Key Scholastic Writing awards.
* Scholastic receives more than 350,000 entries. Gold medal winners are the top 1% of those submissions.
- "Finalist" in National Pacemaker competition named by The National Scholastic Press Association
- One of six schools from Texas to be nominated as a finalist for the national Pacemaker award.
- Included in the "Yearbook Yearbook" publication for Best Cover
- Silver Medalist critique from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association
- "Silver Medalist" critique from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association
- Honorable Mentions from the National Scholastic Press Association
- First place from the American Scholastic Press Association