Middle School Advisory Program
The KMS Advisory class enables students to feel supported and valued in their daily school life. In a small group environment, students build meaningful relationships with their peers and advisor. Advisory class intentionally promotes organization, wellness, self-advocacy, teamwork, and reflection. This focus on self-management skills and social-emotional learning builds community, creates a sense of belonging, and provides tools to successfully navigate the Middle School.
Goals of Advisory
The KMS Advisory class strives to strengthen the partnership between students, faculty, and families. Additionally, our program seeks to:
- Establish a relationship between students and a trusted adult who knows and cares about them.
- Provide an age-appropriate program for each grade level that focuses on supporting students' well-being and intellectual growth.
- Empower students to create relevant connections to the school at large and to members of the community with both similar and different backgrounds.
- Address topics such as goal setting, organization, and time management.
- Forge a group identity, reinforcing interpersonal relationships.
- Create intentional time to discuss important student issues and establish a place of belonging.
Role of Advisor
- Act as the primary point of contact for families throughout the year. Advisors communicate regularly with families and host student conferences twice each year.
- Know each student personally, serving as a mentor and an advocate in support of the advisee’s social and emotional well-being.
- Monitor academic progress and support advisees when guidance and action is necessary for success.
- Work with the Middle School Learning Specialists and Grade Level Deans to initiate a plan of additional support as needed.
- Help advisees set goals and reflect on progress at regular intervals throughout the year.
- Act as a role model and educator to students and families regarding KMS culture, values, and expectations.